News

Press Coverage of Nail Salon Infections

Woman develops potentially life-threatening infection after pedicure in Winnipeg spa

CBC, February 12, 2016

A Winnipeg woman who developed a life-threatening infection after a pedicure wants Manitoba to toughen up its regulation of spas and salons. In July 2014, Lisa Cefali got a pedicure at a Winnipeg salon before she was supposed to leave on a dream vacation to Europe with her sons.  A week later, her leg became so badly infected paramedics transported her to hospital from the Toronto airport moments before she was to board a flight to Italy. Cefali was admitted to hospital with a severe staphylococcal infection.

Read More

Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 9.32.01 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 9.29.50 AM.png

How to avoid nail salon health hazards

Toronto Star, August 22, 2016

Within 24 hours of having a pedicure at a west-end Toronto salon, Kristine Galka had trouble standing on her left foot. Within 36 hours, the foot was swollen — and she wound up in an emergency room. Hospital staff gave Galka antibiotics and told her to come back if her painful, throbbing foot didn’t start improving. It didn’t.

Read More